Partner in Baker McKenzie’s Moscow office.
Vladimir heads the firm’s CIS Dispute Resolution Practice Group. Vladimir has wide experience participating in litigation in Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus and Ukraine, as well as in international arbitration cases under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, arbitration rules of the ICC, SCC, LCIA, ICAC and other arbitration institutions, both as a party counsel and arbitrator.
Vladimir is included on the lists of arbitrators of arbitration institutions in Russia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, UAE, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, US, Israel and South Korea. Mr. Khvalei is included on the list of tutors, examiners and assessors of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb).
- ICC International Court of Arbitration – Vice President (July 2009 – July 2018)
- ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR – Vice Chair
- ICC Institute of World Business Law – Council Member
- International Arbitration Commission of ICC Russia (ICC National Committee for Russia) – Chairman
- Russian Arbitration Association – Chairman of the Board
- LCIA Court – Member
- ICCA – Board Member
- IBA Arbitration Committee – Vice-Chair (2013-2014)
Awards and rankings
- Since 2009 Vladimir Khvalei has constantly been recognized as one of the leading experts in dispute resolution within Russia and across the CIS by Chambers, Legal 500, PLC Which Lawyer and Who’s Who Legal. Described by clients as a “very well-known figure in the international arena,” Mr. Khvalei has been named “Lawyer of the Year” in international arbitration by Best Lawyers 2014.
- Vladimir is recommended by Acritas Stars 2017.
Education and admission
- Mr. Khvalei graduated with a degree in law from the Belarusian State University in Minsk in 1992.